Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Visa, Mexican Food, and Appreciation Day


I continued part of my visa process this week, so we went into the city. Certain papers are still not done, and I won’t even get into detail on how hectic it is but I will just say that it can give you a headache. While in Santa Cruz we stopped by to get me a prepaid cellphone so that it can be easier to communicate with the sisters and my fellow SLM’s but also, maybe even back home. I got the cheapest they have, which is maybe about $20. It’s a really tiny Samsung, but I like the simplicity. No more iPhone and you know what, that is totally ok. While we were getting it activated, there was some commotion outside, a man was chasing after a young man yelling “Ladron, Ladron” which means “thief” in English. I don’t quite know if he got caught, but apparently people here in Bolivia take justice into their own hands because other people seemed to be chasing him too. When we went outside, we heard some of the bystanders say that the thief might have been carrying a knife. Eesh, scary… You have to really take care of what you’re carrying especially in the city. Every time we head out anywhere, I really try to keep my things close to me and hold them tightly.

After getting the cellphone, we headed out for some lunch. Katie took us to this little Mexican place called “El Chile” (LOL, awesome!). Mexican food in Bolivia? Who would have thought?! I was excited for it, even if it tasted like the real deal or not! I just wanted to feel at home for a little bit. I must admit that the food wasn’t bad at all. It was pretty good. I’d been craving tacos, I’d catch myself walking around Okinawa and just hoping by some miracle, there’d be a taco stand…lol but of course not in Bolivia, though Bolivia does have pretty awesome food! YUM! I just love food! All in all, I enjoyed that little Mexican restaurant. After that we took a Trufi to Montero, and there we bought some things we needed for the house and we also made an extra set of keys for me. I finally have my own set of keys.

On Wednesday, we couldn’t go out to communities because it was raining, so we stayed in for the morning and then at around 12:30pm we headed to lunch. After that Katie had English class at 1:30pm. We have class every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. And I help her teach English to 4th, 5th, and 6th graders. The kids have a lot of energy but they are good kids.

On Thursday, Katie and Stephanie had to go back to Santa Cruz to pick up some papers and take them to immigration for Steph, while Judy and I headed out to community. Judy and I were headed to a community named Nueva Ezperanza. Every time we head out to community it’s really hard to figure out where all of these places are because it’s all dirt roads and countryside. Judy and I got lost trying to find Nueva Ezperanza, we noticed it when all we saw was a long dirt rode and only countryside, no houses what so ever. Finally after about an hour, we found the place. I have to admit that I take even getting lost as an adventure, and I find it really fun because I get to see the countryside and I always keep wondering what more is out there. After community we headed back to the sisters house to eat some lunch. And then headed home. I had time to wash some clothes. I’m really getting the hang of washing by hand. Though I still end up cutting my fingers with the powdered detergent. I know it sounds ridiculous, but I do. My hands aren’t use to washing by hand, but they will eventually. I still get the sense of accomplishment every time I finish washing my clothes =). I feel so proud of myself.

Now Friday was a special day. Bolivians celebrate The Day of Appreciation, and it’s not at all like our Thanksgiving. It’s more about appreciating what others have done for you. So the school had a huge event, specifically for Sor Nora. She is the director of the whole community and after 12 years she will be leaving Okinawa. She has done so much for the community. There were dances prepared by the students and songs. Katie, Judy, Stephanie and I got to say thank you to her as well. We made her a sign and sang her a little song =). She loved it!

On Saturday the volunteers and I prepared a little something for Sor Nora. We had a movie night, but we decorated the dining room and made some cheese empanadas, brownies, and cookies. We watched “2 Hijos de Francisco” which is based on a true story about a father wanting his two sons to become somebody in life through music. It was really good.


No comments:

Post a Comment