Saturday, October 6, 2012

The Week Flew By!

My second week felt like it flew by so fast. I must admit though that I do miss home and everyone I left behind but I'm taking this day by day, it's the only way I can, and the kids for sure keep me going. They are something else for sure.

This week we only had communities twice because it rained on Wednesday. When it rains here, IT RAINS!!! And everything is left so muddy. There is only one paved rode in Okinawa and it's not even completed so when we headed to the communities on Thursday and Friday the dirt rode was just awful. Lots of mud, water, and bumps, luckily we didn't get stuck, it does get slippery, so our truck does tend to skid a lot, but it's all part of the adventure =). And I enjoy the cows and horses that we see on the rode =). It's something just so normal here. Also, my favorite, is walking along Okinawa and just passing by the cows and bulls like if they were just another person on the rode =) I love it!. What I don't love is the mosquitos, even with bug repellent they still find a way to get you. Those filthy blood suckers....lol.

On Thursday we went to Colegio San Francisco Xavier's First Annual Dance festival. Dancing is probably one of the most important things here in Bolivia. The high school students prepared dancing from the different departments of Bolivia and neighboring countries. It was quite enjoyable, except for all the insects falling from the sky! You could imagine my horror. Some of these insects were like the size of a small bird...oh man. For those of you that know me, you know I can't stand them, let alone having them hit me on the head while flying or landing on me. It was an experience. Each light in the coliseum, where the dancing took place, had about 300 bugs just buzzing around...oh God! And a lot were on the floor. I saw a dog roaming around and just eating the live ones from the ground....ewww. So the girls and I, even though it was extremely hot and humid, wore our sweaters and hoodies, and I just kept killing bugs left and right. For all of you who think I wouldn't harm even an insect, well, now you know that I will kill any creepy looking thing that comes near me...before I wouldn't, because I hated the crunchy sound and the way it felt under my shoe, but under the circumstances, things have changed =). I'm so glad I survived my nightmare though, =) and luckily we were surrounded by our kids. So they kept me distracted from the bugs but also from the dancing lol. Stephanie says that in every event that we go to, we are always surrounded by the kids, so most of the time you won't even see the event because the kids will just want to play with you. We were surrounded by 12 kids through out the whole festival. And we played with them most of the time, so, we didn't see much of the dancing =). But the kids are just wonderful, you can't help but love them, because they just love you so much in return.

Sorry that this week was a short one, I have to keep reminding myself to keep writing everyday so that I can tell you everything, but sometimes I don't have time because we do so much here =). I'll keep trying my best. =) Keep praying for me as I will pray for you.

All the insects...

The kids stealing my iPhone and taking pictures of themselves

Some of the dancing

Chillin' like a Villain, we have a lot creatures roaming around our backyard, and they sometimes get in the house...eesh.
Here are some pix

No comments:

Post a Comment