Friday, November 23, 2012

And We're Down Two!

Month Numero Dos!

And we're down to two...YEAH! So much has happened this month. First of all I want to apologize for not writing sooner, it's just really getting harder and harder. I am also trying to limit myself from being on the internet so much. I don't want it to be a distraction, keeping me away from falling in love with the people and children, which I have to admit, some have already stolen my heart, =) two little boys, brothers, Erlei and Rafael, from a community in the outskirts of Okinawa. <3 The cutest little things, both of them didn't want to let go of my hand when we were out in their community. So I had two on both sides. =)

On another note, I was diagnosed with amoebas in my stomach which was bound to happen. I'm ok now, took my medicine as directed but this doesn't mean that they won't be coming back. Let's hope not soon. Other than that, I am ok.

For the first time this month, and for the first time in my life, I rode on a motorcycle. I have to say, it was very nerve racking. I didn't enjoy it as much as others might, but motorcycles are the biggest form of transportation they have here, so I will be riding those very often.

This month was also the end of the school year for kids here. We ended classes on November 15th. So kids and teens alike are happy to be out for their summer vacation. Unlike in the states, summer here is from December through February, so Christmas doesn't feel like Christmas here in Bolivia, but only when it comes to the weather. Unfortunately, this month we also found out the heartbreaking news that one of our 4th grade students passed away. It was all so very sudden and shocking to the community here. It broke our hearts finding out who she was and that she was there with us, just the week before. She was just so very young. I still don't understand why the Lord took her, these are things that can never be explained, but I know that the Lord has His reasons.

Well the rainy season has officially started. We have great thunderstorms in Okinawa. The only downer about thunderstorms here is the mosquitos, with the rainy season comes mosquito season. I thought when I first got here there was a lot of mosquitos already, but o boy, there is a lot more now. While at mass I have clusters of them flying around me. This is not a joke! And they get through my jeans and pants. I have no idea how they do it. They are vicious little things. You should see the amount of scars I have from scratching, I know it's bad, and I had promised myself I wouldn't do it, but OMG it is so, so very hard not to scratch. They seem to like my elbows and knees a lot, those are really hard places to scratch and uncomfortable too.

Steph and I, who are really still the newcomers here in Oki, went to the city of Santa Cruz for the first time by ourselves without Judy, Marcos and Katie, who know their way around here more than Steph and I do. We went into the city to go into the immigration office to see if our Visas were ready. We were able to find the office by ourselves! And just finding our way around the city. We were so proud of ourselves for not getting lost and riding the taxis and Truffi cars all our on own. For some of you this might sound ridiculous, but let me tell you, when you're in a different country that obviously is not your home, and you get stared at for being different everywhere you go, (oh yes...I get stared at too even though I am Latina, some ppl don't know what to make of me, they obviously know I'm not Bolivian, but they can totally see that I am different, and when I open my mouth they can hear that I am different.) and you're a female in a male dominated world, that is also very corrupt, it is very nerve racking for two gringas (yes, I just called myself a gringa, because I am considered a gringa to the ppl here) who are still learning about the place to be all by themselves. So I am not ashamed to say that I am very proud of us both!!! We even caught one of the Truffi drivers not giving us our correct change. We confronted him about it. He gave us our correct change and later apologized. That's right! Just cause we're different doesn't mean you can take advantage of us! We got this! =)

On a side note: Our Visas aren't ready yet...pssshhhtt... >:(

I really want to say that Bolivia is really not a very easy country to live in but besides all the hardship people face and we as missioners face, I am so glad to be here. (BTW...There is nothing like a Bolivian sky! The sky here looks so beautiful and amazing! I've never seen anything like it in my life!!) It's taken me some getting use to, it's not easy, but I'm getting there and I'm falling in love little by little. I am so proud of myself for making this decision, I wouldn't change it for the world and I don't regret it one bit! I know I am making a difference somehow and experiences and people alike are making a huge positive impact in my life. It's also making me really appreciate home and the people I left behind so much more. But besides all that, I feel like Bolivia is really revealing to me how strong and brave I really am. I know I have a lot more courage now, than I did before coming here. Of course, I still have a lot more to learn about myself, and a lot more to grow, but I am getting there. I know I will be facing a lot more challenges in the year to come, but I can't wait to overcome them! With God by my side, everything is possible. I am so happy to be doing His work, with a Salesian heart as well.

And for my Salesian family back home (SUO) I am Don Bosco today! ;) #iamsalesian. (I get what it means to be Don Bosco today!) <3 Love you all. You are all in my prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment